Wildlife Photography 101
Weekend Photography Workshop at Heia Safari Ranch
21 & 22 May 2011
Join Photo-Africa and Moya Wa Tenga Safaris for a two day wildlife photography workshop which will give you both the technical know how and creative inspiration to take your wildlife photography to the next level. On 21 & 22 May the Heia Safari Ranch, a charming lodge situated in tranquil indigenous South African bushveld next to the Cradle of Humankind, will play host to both the practical and theoretical parts of the workshop.
From a learning point of view, nothing beats spending quality photographic time with like-minded people and sharing ideas, tips and tricks out in the field. It with this goal in mind that our wildlife photography workshops aim to be a complete immersive experience.
Apart from having access to professional and enthusiastic presenters during both the theoretical and practical components of the workshop but you will also have ample opportunity to photograph the wildlife on Heia Safari Ranch and the nearby Lion and Rhino Park. During the weekend you will also have the opportunity of using professional level Nikon and Canon equipment, supplied by Photo-Africa Rentals.
This photographic workshop will be led by Gerry van der Walt and Andrew Beck.
Gerry is a wildlife photographer, owner of Photo-Africa, and field guide who combines a passion for nature photography with an in depth knowledge of African wildlife. Andrew, the owner of Moya Wa Tenga, is a qualified conservation biologist and guide who is passionate about photography and wildlife conservation in South Africa. To ensure your personal attention, this workshop will be limited to 10 photographers.
The main goal of this workshop is to dramatically improve not only the visual impact of your images but your understanding of both the technical and artistic aspects of wildlife photography.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Ethics and Etiquette
- Camera Settings and Technical Approach
- Equipment and Super Telephoto Zoom Lenses
- Different Types of Light
- Photo Recipes for various wildlife subjects and scenes.
Once we have covered all of the basics in the theory session we will head out to put everything in to practice on foot around Heia Safari Ranch where Zebra, Giraffe, Wildebeest and a few black Springbok roam freely , on a game drive to the Lion and Rhino Park and around the waters of Lake Heritage.
- Saturday 21 May 2011
- 08h30 – Arrival at Heia Safari Ranch for breakfast.
- 09h00 – Breakfast to get to know each other and discuss individual photographic goals for the weekend.
- 10h30 to 15h00 – Theory component of workshop with lunch break included.
- 15h00 – Game drive to the Lion and Rhino Park for practical component and practice.
- 18h00 – Sunset shoot at and around Heia Safari Ranch grounds.
- 19h30 – Dinner and discussion of photographic exercises for the next day.
- Sunday 22 May 2011
- 06h00 – Early morning shoot around Lake Heritage and on Heia Safari Ranch grounds.
- 09h00 – Breakfast
- 10h30 – Image crit and discussion of post processing of wildlife images.
- 13h00 – Lunch and wrap up of weekend.
- 21 & 22 May 2011
- R 2,900 per person
- A 50% deposit is required to secure a space on the workshop.
- Wildlife photography workshop
- Workshop manual
- CD with interactive notes and resources
- Coffee and Tea
- One night accommodation on a single basis
- All meals
- Game Drive on Saturday afternoon
- Personal photographic tuition throughout the weekend
- Use of professional Nikon and Canon photo equipment
- Free WiFi throughout the lodge.
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel to and from Heia Safari Ranch
What To Bring
- DSLR Camera (which allows you to set aperture, shutter speed and ISO)
- Lenses (It is recommended that you have a wide angle (18mm to 70mm) and telephoto zoom (+/- 300mm)
- Tripod or Bean Bag (Recommended for landscapes)
- Laptop (Should you wish to follow along during post processing part of theory)
- Jacket (Days are warm but mornings can be chilly)
- Hat and sunscreen