An Adventurer Exploration – 9 nights / 10 days
This exciting route takes the time to explore the changing areas, stunning beauty and continually moving game of northern Botswana: from walking on islands in the jewel of the Kalahari, the Okavango Delta, to the diverse, wildlife-filled Linyanti concession, with its seasonal elephant herds. The camps are located in a range of different habitats to maximize the best possible game viewing through all times of the year. Accommodation varies with a combination of serviced camping in private concession areas and a small comfortable lodge in Zambia.
To partake in a Migration Routes is to experience a nostalgic camping safari through private nature areas off the beaten path that recreates a sense of wildlife viewing adventure reminiscent of the times of the early African explorers.
Explorations are led by highly skilled and qualified professional guides with an incredible passion for the natural regions they work in. Sharing the adventure and guiding you on this journey of discovery combined with their vast knowledge of the natural world, history and culture are their professions and personal hobby. Years of experience in the field and a depth of understanding of animal behavior and the environment will leave you with a sense of complete wonder.
Unique features of this Exploration:
- Specifically tailored to enjoy varied species of the Okavango Delta (both permanently and seasonally flooded), Linyanti savannah and Chobe, in areas mainly exclusive to Wilderness Safaris guests.
- The Adventurer dome tented camp is fully serviced and allows a sublime “back to nature” experience
- Experienced, knowledgeable and passionate guide travels with the guests throughout.
- Access to the exclusive wilderness sanctuaries of the Okavango Delta, Linyanti/Chobe and the world famous Victoria Falls.
- Additional features (in private areas), between December and May, possible excursion towards the Savute Channel (game dependent), and Chobe River lunch cruise.
- Cross-country and air transfers showcase the vast wilderness and denizens of Botswana and enhance the beauty and magnitude of your journey.
Day 1: Mosi Discoverer Camp, Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, Livingstone, Zambia
After arrival in Livingstone you will be met by a representative and transferred directly for a guided tour of the Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. At 5604 feet wide, it is the largest curtain of water in the world and drops 338 feet into the basalt depths of the sheer Zambezi Gorge. We then transfer by road to Mosi Discoverer Camp, situated in the eastern sector of the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, a short distance upstream from the Victoria Falls.
Days 2 – 4: Chobe River Boat Cruise and Linyanti Adventurer Camp, Chobe/Linyanti
After a full breakfast, we leave Zambia and enter the Chobe National Park in Botswana by way of the Kazungula border, a point where the four countries of Botswana, Zambia, Namibia and Zimbabwe meet. Enjoy a leisurely shaded boat cruise along the Chobe River, with a light lunch. This boat cruise offers a unique opportunity to observe puku, large herds of elephant, numerous pods of hippo and large crocodiles, as well as enjoying fantastic views of other general game and diverse birdlife.
We then depart by road for the Linyanti region. This interesting drive exposes the group to the rural way of life along the northernmost tip of Botswana and also affords views across the Chobe and Linyanti Rivers into Namibia’s Caprivi Strip. The last part of the road journey is a game drive as we approach the Linyanti, where our pre-erected Linyanti Adventurer Camp is situated. This part of the Linyanti is famed for its myriad of changing landscapes, from riverine to savannah and from forest to plains.
The Linyanti region’s life-giving perennial waters attract herds of wildlife that walk well-worn game paths to slake their thirst in the dry season. Predators follow in their footsteps and, coupled with the area’s diversity of habitat, make for exciting game viewing.
Days 5 – 7: Khwai Adventurer Camp, Okavango Delta
After breakfast, we drive to the airstrip for light aircraft transfer to Khwai Adventurer Camp. Khwai Adventurer Camp is located in a private concession just north of the Khwai River above the Moremi Game Reserve. The Khwai Concession is one of the most diverse areas in northern Botswana which seldom disappoints when it comes to producing extraordinary wildlife experiences. The life source for this area is the Khwai River – the northernmost “finger” of the Okavango Delta alluvial fan, which provides vital sustenance to numerous animals.
Over time, the Khwai area has metamorphosed into a wide range of exciting wildlife habitats – some of the most varied to be found in the entire Okavango Delta: a blend of forests, floodplain, wetland and grasslands. The narrow Khwai Channel is home to large mammals such as hippo and crocodile with buffalo and red lechwe often seen grazing along the fringe. The beautiful gallery riverine woodland found along the river provides further sanctuary to birds, primates and leopard. Elusive roan antelope often come to the river to drink. Activities focus around day and night game drives, nature walks and seasonal mokoro excursions.
Away from the river there is a wonderful mix of acacia and leadwood trees of varying sizes that abuts into mopane woodland. The latter, together with the permanent presence of water, attracts large numbers of elephant to the area. Larger predators include lion, wild dog and spotted hyaena, while birdlife found here is just as varied thanks to the colorful palette of habitats.
Days 8 – 9: Xigera Mokoro Trails, Okavango Delta
We fly by light aircraft to the water-filled paradise of the remote Xigera area, within the Moremi Game Reserve. Xigera is the ultimate Okavango Delta experience, with serene waters flowing through innumerable channels around remote islands and a profusion of plant and animal birdlife. There is no better way to experience the Okavango than to travel through it by mokoro, walking and camping out on a vegetated island – all essential elements of the Xigera Mokoro Trails. The experience is aimed at highlighting the permanently flooded inner Delta, in the serene waterways and on the islands of trees and bush.
Activities include mokoro and walking safaris on remote islands, which enable up-close encounters with an excellent diversity of birdlife (including Pel’s Fishing-Owl), frogs and some game species, some specially adapted to water, such as the familiar red lechwe. Walking activities vary in length and duration depending on the season, especially in the months when the Okavango is at peak flood (June, July and August) where walks become shorter as more islands are flooded.
Day 10: Transfer to Maun Airport
Bid farewell to the adventure as we transfer by light aircraft to Maun Airport.
- Tour direction – Zambia to Maun (& vice versa)
- Private safari options: Tailored Explorations are available on flexible dates, accommodation and itineraries, for groups of up to eight guests. These are also ideal for families or for small groups from four guests.
- Adventurer Camp Description (Linyanti Adventurer Camp, Khwai Adventurer Camp & Xigera Mokoro Trail): 9.84 feet x 9.84 feet dome tents, complete with mini-verandas. Pure cotton linen (with duvets) on GI stretchers, bedside table with light and mini luggage benches finish the interior. Evening campfires are the norm and hurricane lanterns add to the atmosphere. The bathrooms are en-suite with the entrance to the canvas-wrap open air bathroom (zip door) through the rear of tent. There is a serviced en-suite tin bucket shower – with hot water available whenever guests require it. The bathroom in each tent has a short-drop toilet with a separate toilet near the main area available for use during the day.
- Exclusivity: To ensure as much privacy and exclusivity as possible, most areas in which we travel are private concessions in prime locations. All Explorations camps are private and for the use of Adventurer Exploration guests only, while Mosi Discoverer and air linkages are shared with other guests.
- Time: We have specifically allowed for a three-night stay at Linyanti Adventurer Camp and Khwai Adventurer Camp; in a journey of this nature, guests thus have the time to relax and unwind while at the same time fully appreciating an in-depth introduction to the diversity of the area as well as its activities.
- Transfers: To maximize guests’ travel time, a variety of transport modes that bring out the best of each area is used including flying in light aircraft and overland transfers in customized 4X4 safari vehicles. 4×4 tracks in certain wilderness areas are not maintained, take time to traverse and may be bumpy at times. As a result some of the road transfers can take a full day with lunch and ample game viewing opportunities en route.
- International air connection onto the safari: If arrival is planned for the day of the safari’s departure, please ensure that this arrival is with the earliest possible flight from Johannesburg. It is important that all guests are ready to depart with the guide by no later than ±13H00. Arrival on a later flight may necessitate additional road or air transfers (as departure for the first camp/lodge will already have taken place), subject to extra cost.
- International air connections leaving the safari: Please ensure that your departure flight is booked for after 13h00 from Maun. For earlier international departure flights, an additional transfer will be required to arrive for this connection. Extra transfers and flights are subject to extra cost.
- Flashlights/ torches: Please ensure that a minimum 2-D cell flashlight is brought on safari, with spare batteries. Head lamps are also useful. Wilderness Safaris does not supply flashlights.
- Camera battery charging facilities: Please note that a 12V cigarette lighter adaptor will be required (that is compatible with camera make) on this safari for charging batteries while on game drive or transfer drives. No 110/ 240V outlets are available, except at Chundukwa in Zambia.
- Dietary requirements and special occasions: Due to remote locality of Adventurer camps, please ensure that full dietary requirements and special occasions are advised at the time of your booking confirmation.